When you have a hair color as unique and iconic as plum, it’s easy to get overwhelmed with all the different opinions on how to wear it. Are plums safe for curly hair? What about blondes or brunettes? Can we rock them in an ombre or as a high contrast color? Is purple the only way to go? These are just a few of the questions that will run through your head once you realize you have this pur-le shade in your hair. But don’t fret: if you’re new to the concept, read on for our comprehensive guide on how to wear plums so that your friends will still think you’re original AF even after they see it everywhere.
The Basics of Plum Hair Color
Probably the most important thing to know about plum hair color is that it isn’t really a color at all. It’s a tonal variant of brunette (or auburn), which is why the shade is often referred to as mahogany or chestnut. If you’re not sure if you’re ready to make the commitment to a full-blown purple, try a plum-toned purple or a plum-blonde color first. You can also always add highlights to your hair to add a little sophistication to the look. When it comes to how to wear plum hair color, if you’re going full-force with the purple, you can’t go wrong by embracing the color’s unique qualities. The easiest way to do this is by choosing a look that is complimentary to your hair color.
What Makes Plum Hair Color Unique?
– Plum hair color is a great option for women who are looking to change up their brunette locks without going all the way to a new color (like blonde or red). The key to wearing a plum hue is to find a look that is tonally appropriate to your hair color. If you go too dark or light with it, you’re going to look like you’ve got a bad dye job.
– Plum hair color has a very soft, elegant feel to it, so it’s a good option if you’re looking to diversify your hair color and add a little warmth to your appearance. Plum hair is a great way to break up your usual look or to add a new dimension to an otherwise neutral ensemble.
– Plum hair color is a very unique shade that stands out from the crowd, but at the same time, it’s a shade that you can wear with confidence if you choose the right look.
How to Wear Plum Hair Color
– Plum hair color looks great on brunettes with warm undertones. If you have a darker shade of brown or black hair, you can wear a lighter plum hue to add some dimension to your appearance.
– If you’re trying out the plum hue for the first time, go after a color that is tonally lighter than your natural hair color. This way, you can add a little bit of plum to your appearance while keeping your hair color as dominant as usual.
– When it comes to styles, the traditional curly braid is always a great look to pair with plum hair color, as are braids that are loosely woven. Ponytails are another great option, especially if you’re rocking a lighter shade.
Safety Tip: Why You Shouldn’t Go Dark or Light with a Plum Hair Color
Dark plum hair color is not recommended for those with darker skin tones because it will look particularly unnatural and unnatural-looking, especially on darker complexions. Light plum hair color is also not recommended for those with lighter complexions because it will appear unnatural and washed-out. If you have light hair, you should stick to a true plum hue that is darker than your natural shade.
4 Tips for a Perfect Plum Hair Color
– Try a second or third rinse if you’re not happy with the results. Plum hair color can be finicky, and you may need to put in a few extra rinses before you get the perfect result.
– Try using a deeper shade of plum color instead of your usual shade. Darker shades tend to look more natural and cover better, while lighter shades tend to look more artificial.
– You may need to touch up your roots if your hair color starts to fade. You may also want to consider pre-lightening your hair before you go all-in with the plum hue.
– Remember that a plum hair color is unique, so don’t feel like you need to wear it every single day. Having a few looks that are plum-friendly is perfectly acceptable.
Plum hair color may be a polarizing shade to those who have never tried it, but in time, most people come to love and appreciate this unique hue. Although it isn’t for everyone, it’s important to remember that you can wear plum hair color in a variety of ways without being judged. For hair care you can use a hair serum to make your hair shining or a recommended hair treatment to help protect your hairs. You also can choose keratin treatment like we explain on our article about keratin treatment to make your hair health lasting.